walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a barn that I am building office space suspended in

Customer Question

I have a barn that I am building office space suspended in air hanging from side walls and back wall of barn. Office space will be 12' in depth and 20' wide. I plan to hang a beam going across 20' width with no support underneath what size beam do you suggest? Plan to use a glue-lam. What size would joist be running the depth 12'? I plan to use TJI's. Any help you can provide would be great
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 8 months ago.

I can help

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Let me run a few numbers for you.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 20’ span beam:

3-1/2” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

5-1/4” x 11-7/8” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

TJI's are not really needed for a short floor joist span like this.

You can use:

2"x10" SPF (#2 grade) floor joists spaced at 16" o.c.

or

2"x12" SPF (#2 grade) floor joists spaced at 24" o.c.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No need to call pressed wrong button

OK

any more questions?