StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

We purchsed 2 LVL's from Menards. Menards get their LVL's

Customer Question

We purchsed 2 LVL's from Menards. Menards get their LVL's from LVL Global out of Quebec.
We got 2 of the 1 3/4" x 9 1/4" x 24' We sandwiched 2 of these together with a regular dimensional lumber of the same size in the middle.
We used this to make a king beam/ridge beam to span a 20 feet roof line.
The measurements going the length of the room is 30 feet , so rafters going out 15 feet on each side.
It is approximately a 5/12 pitch with the rafters being 18 feet long.
Will this king beam/ridge beam hold a 30# ***** square feet?
The answer must have a verified span load charts and the formula you used to get the answer and be acceptable to the building inspector, which is why we need this info.
If you can answer the question by tomorrow at 12noon, then I would like to "get an answer."
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am confused, Is there supposed to be an answer here already? All I see is that your reply says Hello.
I can provide you with detailed calculations for bending, shear, and deflection as an additional service (not stamped), but that is not a basic answer. Let me know if you would like me to submit the additional service offer. If you accept, I will provide you the calculations in about 3 hours.
Is the 30 psf the snow load?
Are you able to see all of my responses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know if the ridge beam built with the LVL's will be able to handle a 30# ***** square foot load. But I will need to know what span load chart you used and what formula you used to come to your conclusion.
The building inspector said he wanted informed answers, not opinions (which we have many that say it is acceptable). Menards is still working on getting the charts and answers also.The king/ridge beam is being supported by 6 x 8 beams at each end. If you need any additional information, please let me know.Thank You,
Joy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the additional service offer for the more detailed info at an additional service fee?
It's for detailed calculations for the beam. I will say that it sounds too small
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I see the snow load question.. I am assuming it is for max for snow load. It is going to be a ridged metal roof, so the snow will hopefully slide off nicely.
Actually, I'm certain it's too small. Who said that was the right size?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, even 2 LVL's together with the reg dimensional lumber in the middle?? I thought this would over exceed the requirements.. I know that one certainly would be under.., but the beam sandwich?? The guy in the construction business who is doing the work told us that it would be overkill, with the beam and the support of the 2 end walls.
Two 1.75" x 9.25" LVL with a 2x10 piece of dimension lumber? As a ridge beam with a vaulted ceiling? It's not even close.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will add that I am only using my non engineering common sense, with no training and obviously misinformed on the strength of the LVL's. This is why I am wanting an answer for the span load charts and formula. As I said, Menards is working with LVL Global to get those tomorrow. I happened to see just answers when I was googling span load charts for LVL's. I really should have just waited for tomorrow for Menards, but was being impatient.
There is no way any span chart can say it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that there is not a chart to use, or are you saying that the span load chart will definitely say it does not work?
I'm saying if they produce a chart that says it works then they made it up. It dials deflection for a 12 psf dead load and no live load at all
Fails deflection
It will deflect over 4" with a 12 psf dead load and 30 psf snow load. And that doesn't even include creep. Plus I would use 15 psf for dead load
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so I will admit that I am not getting the answer that I wanted to get, but I obviously don't want my roof to cave in on the first big snow either! Are you getting your answer from experience or from engineering math equations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some more questions regarding this ridge beam,. Is the fee still the flat fee of 45$
I used equations to get the deflections.
Would you like me to size the proper beam? I can do that as this question. If you want the detailed calculations, I will submit the additional service offer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The frustrating part is that we have the king beam up already. At least there are no rafters or roof on it.
we have 2 of the 2 x 12 x 24 LVL's. Would this work for the Ridge Beam?
I (in my lack of engineering and building knowledge) don't understand how regular dimensional lumber can be stronger than the LVL's that are supposed to be known for their strength, straightness and durability.
The beam sizing would be nice. I won't need additional calculations, thank you.
I will give you two sizes of LVL only. Mixing LVL and dimension lumber doesn't make sense. You won't get the strength out of the LVL because the dimension lumber will fail first.
I will give you a size for L/240 deflection (bare minimum) and L/600 deflection (what I use when sizing a ridge beam to minimize thrust on the walls.
5.25" x16" for L/240.
7" x20" for L/600
That includes creep deflection for a 15 psf DL
That includes creep deflection for a 15 psf dead load
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are having 6 x 8 beams go across at the top of the wall to tie them together. They are going across at 2 places the opposite direction of the ridge beam.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont understand the L/600 and L/240... so the 5.25 x 16 for L/240?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
collar ties required in the top 1/3 of rafter for thrust on walls also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I need to ask the building inspector for some kind of book with the local codes and more requirements listed. I don't want to be taking anything else down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your communications have been very helpful.
No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project. Let me know if you end up needing calculations. I can put it together for you in a couple hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All right Thank You, ***** ***** good rest of your evening.
You, too