walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

I want to use 3 LVL's to replace a load bearing wall between

Customer Question

I want to use 3 LVL's to replace a load bearing wall between 2 rooms.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The span is 14' and the rooms are about 12' wide so the load would be about 12' of floor above per ft of span. There is a heavy granite topped island directly above that will need to be supported.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: not really
JA: Our top Structural Engineer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Structural Engineer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Structural Engineer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 7 months ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. New beam to replace wall is Beam#2, span 14' This is on the 1st floor of a 2 story structure.
2. Joist spans: #3 = 10', #4 = 10'
3, Flat roof. The same wall on the 2nd floor has previously been removed in the Kitchen above. This is a 2 family house with same floor plans on 1st & 2nd floors
4. Montreal, Canada
5. Roof is Tar & gravel
PS: there is a Granite topped Kitchen Island about 6'x4' live load above, in about the center of the new beam, in the same direction as the beam. Figure about 1000 lbs

Sorry for the huge delay. I was having major internet issues and had to have Verizon come out and replace my can-tenna. I am looking at your information right now.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 14’ span beam:

Triple 1-3/4” x 11-7/8” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 SP

Triple 1-1/2” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks