walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

I have done an addition to my home. I want to take down a

Customer Question

I have done an addition to my home. I want to take down a wall between the kichen and the new addition. I am intending to support the opening on this wall with a 11 7/8 lvl supported on each side with 3 2X6 supports. The span is approximately 13' (just shy).If you look at the pictures, you will see it is replacing 11 rough sawn 2X4 supports. I am not going to touch the rough sawn 4x4 beams that make up the corners. The LVL will overlap those beams and be attached to them with 6" timberlock structural screws in addition to the three 2X6 supports at each end.Is the single LVL enough? Do I need to double it? Does this setup seem structurally sound?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 7 months ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. New Beam is #2. Span is 13'.
2. Joist is 13'.
3. This was an end wall, but both roof peaks runs perpendicular to this beam. The old section is a 13X13 section that is 2 stories. Attached to it is a 24X26 new section. Both have basement. Both sections transfer the load to the end walls. This beam is part of the old section.
4. Connecticut
5. Architectural shingles.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any word on this?

Sorry for the huge delay. I was having major internet issues and had to have Verizon come out and replace my can-tenna. I am looking at your information right now.

I am having a little trouble visualizing your configuration. Do you have any plans or sketches that you can share with me?

The Chat Window has a button that lets you attach files.

I want to make sure i fully understand your configuration before I size any members. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I understand internet troubles. When I did not hear back I had to move on. A local professional gave me the info I needed. Could you make sure justanswer does no charge me?

Sorry I could not help.

I will contact Customer Service for you