walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Taking out apartial haii one story ranch to build a beam 16

Customer Question

taking out apartial haii for a one story ranch to build a beam 16 foot long for support us2x10 or 2x12
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: hall supports peak of roof
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Structural Engineers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 story house no basement asphaltroof, truss span 30ft , new partial beam 16 ft long at #3 location , factory trusses , south louisana , ceiling in actic 8 ft high
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid with a credit card you need to cancel this transaction if your not answering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I am here

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Is there any occupancy or storage in the attic area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But storage is possible in the future
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am I going to get an answer to my question ?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I have been traveling the last two days.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 16’ span beam:

3-1/2” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

5-1/4” x 11-7/8” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks