StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am building a new home. The design calls balconies on

Customer Question

I am building a new home. The design calls for two balconies on directly opposite sides of the 2nd floor. I would like to cantilever the balconies. Each balcony is 4 feet by 8 feet. The house is about 25' wide. I would like to consider slipping two steel beam through the first floor ceiling to support the balconies. These beams would run parallel to the joist that form the 1st floor ceiling. To stick out 4' on each side of the house they would have to be about 33' long. They would be supporting only the two balconies, no load on the middle of the beams, only on the ends. What size steel beam would be required to support this kind of a load?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Why exactly do you want to frame it that way. It seems like you're introducing a lot of steel that doesn't need to be there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am concerned about trying to cantilever the balconies with wood beams, the ends of which would be exposed to weather and rot. The balconies will be about 16' off the ground and I don't want to put posts down to support the outside of the balconies.

You can wrap the joists that are exposed and cap the ends to keep moisture out. I'll size the steel for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think I ever received the size of the steel?

I apologize for the technical difficulty. I posted the size a couple days ago. I will repost it when I get home later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still don't see any response??? Am I missing something?

It's a W8x18 or W6x20 ASTM A992