StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

My contractor is installing our front door and there is a

Customer Question

My contractor is installing our front door and there is a great deal of space (1" or greater) between the door frame and the house framing. He inserted a few wood shimmy's and plans to insulate the hole and that is it. He said having a rough opening in common and the space is normal but I am not convinced.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.

Hello

The rough opening is commonly a little larger than the finished opening. As long as it's properly shimmed, fastened, and insulated it is not a problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. Can you please be more specific (in measurements) as to what is alittle larger than rough is acceptable. Also please describe in more detail what is considered proper shim and fastening.

What exactly is your concern?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want to make sure that that door is installed properly as to a layman (me) it does not seem so. It is a heavy 2.5" thick and expensive door and I don't want it to be problematic (not closing properly) years down the road. I am attaching some photos for your evaluation but would appreciate answers to the specifics requested above as well.

The gap looks very large up close and much smaller with the whole picture. I would ask him to install a full height strip to close up that gap.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it too large or acceptable, I am not clear? How can you install full height strips with the nails protruding?

The door can come down and be reinstalled after the shim strip is placed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you are saying that the space is too great in your professional opinion. You advise that the door should be removed and full length strips should be placed to shrink the gaps and then the door should be reinstalled. Is that correct?

I would let a gap go to be shimmed up to 3/4". Over that, I would ask for a finish board of 3/4" thickness be installed full height.