How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask walkereng Your Own Question
walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 2490
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a Lite Steel Beam at a reclamation store to

Customer Question

I purchased a Lite Steel Beam at a reclamation store to install over a 4.2m opening for a new sliding door. I was assured that these beams were as strong as UC but much lighter and easier to handle. The Beam is a 200mmx60mmx3mm. I removed the HW studs and left the 4"x2" top plate. I fitted the beam with a 75mmx75mmx4mm steel post on either end bolted to a welded bracket extending up from post and sitting on the wall plate and footings. There are 4 roof trusses resting on the beam and the roof is tile. The roof trusses are standard HW trusses with a Bottom chord 32mm x 55mm; Top chord 32x85; . The span is 7.745m. The overhang is 0.58m. The overall height is 1.40m. The trusses are supported at either end of the span. This has been installed but now there has been a question raised as to whether the LSB is adequate for the job. Can you advise if it is what is the equivalent UC beam to the LSB purchased?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

LSB does not have a UC equal. Whoever told you that LSB is stronger and lighter doesn't understand how steel works. I can give you the UC size that meets or exceeds the LSB for both strength and stiffness, if you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which UC is the equivalent of the 200LSB?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

To be clear, do you want UB or UC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would actually like a PFC as that is the closest to the LSB. The UC came from your reply.

Related Structural Engineering Questions