walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Kids have a contract on a newly constructed home built on a

Customer Question

Kids have a contract on a newly constructed home built on a slab foundation. A model home exploded approximately 150 yards from the home. The home sustained concussion damage to the two garage doors and the door jamb to the front door. There was also minor damage to an interior door jamb just inside the entry way. Appears some of the doors may be out of square from the incident. Their new home sits at an approximate 60 degree angle to the front of the house that exploded. The kids home did not sustain direct concussion damage but at more of an angle. Would you recommend retaining the services of a structural engineer to determine if there has been any foundation or frame damage? Thanks...............
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 12 months ago.

Hello

Can I get back to you in the morning?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok

The likelihood of framing damage is unlikely. Wood has a fair amount of flexibility and the nail connections provide a lot of redundancy and ductility.

Concrete, however, is very brittle and an impulse force can crack it. Concrete cracks naturally, though, too. I would have an engineer try to determine if there is any foundation problem. I would also ask him to do a cursory walk and look for possible signs of framing issues, but I don't think this will be an issue.