walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I need to know the header size to support 6' span on

Customer Question

I need to know the header size to support 6' span on first level. This beam will be supporting a bedroom level and finished attic. The house is 1160 sq ft and house shingle roof. The roof is not supported by this beam. It will be installed in middle of the home and support floors above.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

hello

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello i am hoping you are able to tell me the size header i need to support my home properly.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The joist are 16" on center No roof trusses but i do have a basement. I will be looking to support new beam number 2 in drawing thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the roof type is asphalt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the trusses will span 18' so beam will be about 9' on each side
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Is there any storage or occupancy in the attic area?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

What species of lumber will you be able to purchase?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is storage in the attic and lumber will be douglas. Fir
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Hold on, let me run a few numbers

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

You can use a Double 2x10 Douglas Fir (#1 grade) to span your 6'. Put a 1/2" thick piece of plywood in between, glued and screwed.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.