walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have large number of 2x10x12 prime pine planks. i would

Customer Question

I have large number of 2x10x12 prime pine planks. i would like to stand planks on end, planks very 2 or 3 feet to install biscuits in the 2" edge.
i would stand the planks on edge. Eveery 6 to 8 feet i would make a column out of 3 planks and one from the panel.When wall is complete and square concrete would be poured in all columns.
Engineered truss would complete the storage shed.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 9 months ago.

hello

Could you draw me a rough sketch so I can make sure I fully understand your configuration

The Chat Window has a button that allows you to attach files

Let me know if I can still help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Attached is examples of horizontal & vertical plank fences. Our plank size is 2inX10inX12ft will either vertical or horizontal have load carrying capacity?

What is located behind the vertical strips?

What load are you considering putting on this fence?

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is not a fence, this is a building, I would like to build a shop using these 2x10x12 for the walls, either vertical or horizontal (see attached examples) I will attach the planks together using biscuits we haven't determined the number of biscuits per board and I would like the planks to support the weight of the roof either vertical or horizontal placement with columns every 12 feet.

What are the plan dimensions of your proposed shop?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
24X24X12

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple of options:

1. If you construct your concrete filled posts at the corners of your 24'x24' storage shed and then in the middle of each wall, that will give you 12' o.c. spacing. I would then span the 12' in-between each post with beam made of Triple 2x10 Pine Plank beams. Your 24' roof trusses can rest on top of these beams.

2. If you construct your concrete filled posts at the corners of your 24'x24' storage shed and then 2 more in each wall, that will give you 8' o.c. spacing. I would then span the 8' in-between each post with beam made of Double 2x10 Pine Plank beams. Your 24' roof trusses can rest on top of these beams.

I have assumed a Roof Dead Load of 10 psf and a Roof Live Load of 20 psf. If you live in an area with snow load, then let me know and I can redo my numbers.

You can run your wall planks either vertically or horizontally, since they will not carry any load, due to the fact the your post and header beam system will carry your roof loading.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions