StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

My name is ***** *****. I need to know what size steel

Customer Question

Hello. My name is ***** *****. I need to know what size steel channel, (standard "C" channel, not an "I" beam), to use to span 22 ft. It will be bolted every two ft. to a parallel wood fascia board with a joint in the middle so there is no sideways deflection. There is currently a support post under the middle, (the joint), that I want to eliminate, thus a clear span of 22 ft. The only weight this would be holding is a bedroom floor, and the upper side of a sloped 8ft. wide, 22 ft. long roof.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What details do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Structural Engineers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK now what?

What is the joist length on each side of the beam?

What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?

Does it also support an attic?

Will it support any ceramic tile?

I accepted the offer, but the payment failed. I will try submitting an offer for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll try to answer your questions on here. The floor joists running perpendicular to this beam are 13 ft. long. However, half of the 22 ft. has a load supporting wall offset back 4 ft. and parallel to the new beam. I am located in northeast Ohio but not in the snow belt. No, there will not be any ceramic tile on top of this wall. No, this wall does not support the attic. It's just a bedroom upstairs.

Thank you. Give me a few minutes to run some numbers.

MC12x40 will work for strength and limit deflection to 1/2"

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is that the smallest I can use? Remember, this channel is bolted parallel to a 2" thick wood beam so there is no deflection at all.

That that is the size to limit deflection to 1/2". The wood will not help carry vertical loading.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.