walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am looking to build my own angle iron trusses enclosed

Customer Question

I am looking to build my own angle iron trusses for an enclosed barn (40' wide by 60' or 64' long X 14' tall) and was just trying to find some information about what the angle iron size and thickness should be. I live in Michigan right on the edge between a 30 and 35 lb snow load code area. I would prefer to go with 35 or even 40 lb loads in case we get some wet snow or the snow on the roof gets rained on. The typical wind load for codes is 90 mph.
I was planning to go with 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 X 3/16" for the top and bottom chord on with a 4/12 pitch and the webs would be 1-1/4 X 1-1/4 X 1/8" and the truss would be 18" deep. The trusses would be 8' or 10' on center and would use 6X6 treated posts that are anchored to 24" diameter concrete piers that are 4' deep.
The joists between the trusses are 2' o.c. and would be 2X6 or 2X8 untreated #2 lumber or possibly 2X6 zee purlins.
Thanks
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This looks like a complete system design. I can give you appropriate angle sizes for the trusses as this question, but there is much more to this (as your question goes into some of it), which I can address as an additional service, if you're interested.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would the additional service cost just be the balance of the initial amount I paid or something above and beyond that? I agree it is a complete system design and was able to find some information but unfortunately for me doesn't include what the parameters the design adheres to.

I'm not allowed to discuss cost in the chat, but I can submit the offer for you. It would be a complete roof system, including the truss, connections, metal deck, posts, and sonotube footings (the footings will be sized for gravity load only, not lateral loading)

It will take a couple days to go through the entire design and connection calculations and sketches, so if you accept the offer, I will post the results for you on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do accept the offer - one additional note is that I will use steel roofing and also at some point in time may add insulation. Do you need any additional information such as door sizing and opening locations?

I haven't submitted the offer yet. Do you plan to support every truss with a post or on beams with posts spaced less frequently?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I plan to support every truss with a post. So if the truss spacing is 8' the post spacing would be 8'.

Then as long as a door doesn't exceed 8', the door locations will not matter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will hold off for now - not because its a bad price or anything but I am not completely sure I want to do this (was planning to start next year sometime). I do want the peace of mind that a structural engineer can send me approved plans so it doesn't collapse and I can also save some money doing it myself. I was planning to put in a roll up or sliding door on each side that would be 12' wide by either 12 or 14' tall, so that would require (I think) additional work on your part to account for the wider opening.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I appreciate the effort made to help me out. Thanks

Yes, I would add the size of that beam. Let me know if you decide to go forward.