StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a floor joist in the basement that has has split

Customer Question

I have a floor joist in the basement that has has split almost 3/4 throughout (we believe over the years - my mom has lived here over 30 years) it is not load bearing but we do know the fridge sits over it. Next to this joist about 12 inches are 2 side by side joist/beams.
i have picture that would better explain. I have several quotes differing on what to do:
1) Install one (1) 2x10x12' sister joist alongside cracked joist. This includes removing and re-installing cross member bracing between joists. HomeSpec will move ductwork as necessary to install joist. Note: Homeowner responsible to have electrical lines and components completely removed from broken joist and then re-installed upon installation of sister joist. Homeowner also to have chimney vent stack moved for installation and then re-installed. Homeowner will also have items moved from area of installation. Note: Gas line may also need to be temporarily moved at extra cost, but will be avoided if possible.
2) A) Remove electrical and any other utilities in the way of repair.
2B) Install two Four foot 2’ x 10” beams on each side of damaged beam.
2C) Drill and lag bolt all three beams together and bond with liquid nails.
2D) RE- Run electrical circuit and install two new junction boxes.
2E) Install steel post at bottom of beams to the floor and anchor into concrete.
2F) Pressurize beam to stabilize.
3) Same as the second except they dont think a steel post attachment is necessary and could do more damage.
I want the best solution, please advise.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I can help. Please upload the pictures with the paper clip icon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, doing it now. Hold on have to send from my phone to computer. When I have the picture I will send! thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone is dead will have to wait till it powers up then will send.

No problem. I'll keep an eye out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached are the photos of the Crack in the floor joist. Please ask me questions if you need further clarification I sent you the options yesterday if you have better please let me know with details regarding the validity of your suggestion, Thanks,

Option 1 is your best option as long as the sister joist can bear on the supports. It does need to be addressed. Options 2 and 3 are qualitatively acceptable, but it requires a level of design that the contractor is not able to do.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You answer was not useful I requested a refund!