StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Looking to remove a lolly column in my basement. Steel I

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. ***** *****. Looking to remove a lolly column in my basement. Steel I beam runs from the foundation, over said lolly to a second lolly. Its a lightweight beam 12 inch. The total span is 20 feet.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The house is a ranch style. So the steel is holding up the main floor joists and above the main floor is the attic with gable roof.Im thinking about getting two steel flitch plates, 3/8" X 10" X 20 feet. Stack drilled, staggered 12 inches apart.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Structural Engineering Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Look forward to y our response. THX Mike

A flitch plate beam is made of wood and steel. Is that what you want?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. There are two 10 foot long lightweight steel I beams (12" high) joined on a lolly column to be removed. The joint is welded.
We are thinking we should plate both sides of the beam with 3/8 x 10' steel and bolt through with 1/2 inch bolts staggered at 12" apart.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The steel plates are 20 feet long. We could also use a channel which is heavier and a bit harder to install.

That will add very little strength to the beam.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What are my options short of removing the beam and replacing with a bigger I beam?

You will have to reinforce the beam, either with plates welded to the top and bottom flanges (not inside the web), or a WT welded to the bottom. I can design this reinforcement, including the welding requirements, and provide a recommended procedure to install it without shoring, as an additional service, if you're interested.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are considering welding versus stack drilling/ bolting. Is that what you are referring to? What's a WT? Thx

I'm not sure what you mean by stacking, but these would be welded. A WT is a T shaped piece.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have attached two photos of the beam. Its a lightweight 12 inch. So, what you are saying is to add 3/8" plates to each side of the beam and spot weld instead of bolts. The beam is 11" inside, so I can fit 10" plates on each side and weld top and bottom.
A TW welded to the bottom would bring the ceiling down too much. Sound like the way to go?

No. Welding to the sides will not do enough. You need to add material to the top and bottom flanges.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How about C channels sandwiched together?

Yes, but welding them can be problematic

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
right. I dont think I can weld them. I can have them stack drilled, put in place, and then would just need to drill through the existing beam. the steel co recommends 5/8" holes for 1/2" bolts, staggered holes every 16 inches or something. Will discuss with the steel co.

They will be smaller than the WF. That is not going to do it

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.