How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask walkereng Your Own Question

walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 2446
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to make small rectangle and square buildings

Customer Question

i want to make small rectangle and square buildings for a campground resort, each with with 2 doors and 2 side windows. i need a basic diagrams to submit to the housing people (and also to follow to build them) of the buildings sized 16' x 16', 12' x 16', 16' x 20' - but don't know where to get them. i've looked online but the freebees aren't for cabins without bathroom and kitchens, and a few places i wrote that charge to did not answer. Do you know of anywhere that will make plans up for my no room, no kitchen, no bathroom, buildings? I will gladly pay some dough for the drawings from a professional.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

I can put together a set for you. I would have to submit an additional service offer and understand exactly what you're looking for, but I can do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. that's fine.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

If you can provide a sketch with the overall dimensions you want and the general layout, I will start from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

here younero campground resort cabins go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cabin will just be a shell, nothing in the inside - we'll be placing beds in the room and chests for storage and a table with chairs.

I'm able to build these myself, but i need to be 'up to code'.
I looked at the code, but i'm no engineer, and it looks like i need to use 2x6's for the roof, and 2x8's for the floor - is this right?

and, i do not know what size stud goes in each corner - it looks like code says a 6x6 goes in each corner. is that right?

And, lastly, the code looks like i cannot use pressure-treated lumber as the studs to the walls in the cabins. and, i cannot use pressure treated plywood for the floor. is that right? i have to use all non pressure treated lumber ?

so, i need to know something like this.....

I use 2x4 studs everywhere, and space them 16" apart - right?

the floor joists are 2x8's

the roof joists are 2x6's.

the corner studs are 6x6's.

floor wood is plywood sheets, not OSB.

no wood in a occupied by people building can have pressure treated lumber as studs or flooring.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

So do you just need a description like that or do you need drawings and details?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i need drawings and details so that i can submit them to the housing planning dept and get approval.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Just drawings or do you need them stamped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm unsure what stamped is - if it needs to be stamped to be submitted to the planning housing dept, then yes, i need it stamped please.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out, then. I will not be able to stamp anything for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you explain what being stamped is?
i'd like the plans anyway, can you quote me a price for the drawings and the answers / confirmation to my statement/questions above ?

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I will submit the offer later today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also, question - in NC, for the building codes, do i HAVE TO install overhead lighting? or can i plug in wall-based lights and plug them into the outlets we install.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

I don't k ow about lighting and I can only answer the structural aspects. Do you need a different drawing for each of the three?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry about the electrical question - my dumbass has too much going on and i get people mixed up.

I think one drawing for all three is fine, unless yuo think i shuodl have three different.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

I think one will suffice. I will submit the offer for a PDF sketch with framing and basic details. It will include one plan with the different size requirements for each of the three sizes and details, which will be common to all. If you accept the offer, it will take a few days to get it together and I will post it for you at that time. Again, this won't be stamped.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

oh my. $500 is a bit more than I was expecting. I'm sorry it ook so long to get back but im having some challenges.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 6 months ago.

No problem. Putting together details and the drawings takes a concerted effort.

Related Structural Engineering Questions