walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 20 year old one story home 42x53. I am retro

Customer Question

I have a 20 year old one story home 42x53. I am retro fitting the foundation for earthquake. It has 4' to 5' high cripple walls which is not good. It has Ainsworth Lbr TJI 12" height floor joists which appear to be 1/2 waferboard sandwhiched between 1.5" plywood. They are on 16" centers. They are spanning distances of 13' to 16'. My question is this: Are these TJI floor joists specified to span that much distance? Seems way excessive to me. Will they withstand earthquake forces of lets say 4.0 to 6.0, which is my main concern ? Also, how are the floor joists attached to the beams and walls? Can find no evidence though it hard to see from underneath. Thanks for the help. Edward in Oregon
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 10 months ago.

Hello.

How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.

Can you post a picture of the TJI? I would expect a OSB web with dimension limber flanges, not plywood flanges.