walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a crack separating the front porch from the main

Customer Question

I have a crack separating the front porch from the main house. Now the house has shifted and cracked a pipe causing seeping of sewage on the front lawn. Do I fix the plumbing immediately and get a structural engineer after or do I consult with a structural engineer first?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 11 months ago.

I can help

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

not sure why it put my question in the Customer Response section, but Oh Well

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have no pictures at the moment. Can you at least answer the first question I asked?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is anyone there?

Yes I can. The pictures are not a requirement.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not want to pay an additional $18!?? First I'm told $36 if I'm satisfied and was requested to advance $5 which I have! I'm waiting on your first response!

I would have a plumber come out and fix your cracked pipe with some type of flexible section of pipe that will allow it to move slightly without breaking.

I would also call out a Geotechnical Engineer to visit your site and investigate why your home is moving/settling.

Sorry if I type a bit slow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is that $18 a flat rate? I

Yes

I can help you find an Engineering firm that can help you, what city and state are you near?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What was the $5 I authorized on my credit card for?

I do not know, that would be a Customer Service question

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I prefer to continue with this method on the computer

You are not charged for the question until you accept my answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Douglasvile, Ga; but if it's going to cost me $36 don't bother I can get one by googling myself!

I would do more than google, I would actually look at their qualifications and expertise.

Well, good luck with your search

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This seems like a bait and switch to me.
Why can't you answer the question I'm asking? I don't want to commit to another $18.,,,,,,if I'm still going to be charged $36. I perfectly fine with paying $36 and you find a reasonable and qualified structural engineer if that is what I really need..but I need to know how urgent the stuctural is over the plumbing issue!

I thought you said you were going to do the search and did not need me. I am more than happy to continue until your get a satisfactory answer.

Has this just started since your recent heavy rains?

I was down in Griffin, GA over New Years

You need to fix the sewer leak, so that it does not saturate the soil around your house even more.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's not Griffin, Ga. It's Douglasville, Ga. I'm OK with the plumber coming and fixing the cracked pip and getting the geo engineer. What would be the cost....or would they come out to give an estimate and I go from there after establishing the cost? Pl reply this is urgent!

I know it is not Griffin, I was just saying I was down that way over New Years and experienced some of the rain you have been having.

You need the Engineer to determine the cause of the movement before any type of repair scheme can be established.

You will have to call each of the firms I will give you and ask, but in general, they will charge a fee just to come out and look, probably in the $400 to $600 range. They charge about $100 to $125 per hour.

Here are two firms that should be able to help you.

http://www.ahlberg-aei.com/index.html

http://www.ecslimited.com/geotechnical

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thanks..... .I do not want to share my info with any third party service provider and I do not want to sped an extra $18...I can get plumbers coming out to give free estimates. Thank you though!

Not sure what you are talking about with extra money?

If you just have a plumber come out and put a band-aid on the sewer leak, you are not addressing the real problem, "movement of your house".

Which can lead to all kinds of other problems: doors and windows that do not work, cracks in your foundation and drywall, just to name a few. But it is your choice.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You sent me a message and I quote " I would have a plumber come out and fix your cracked pipe with ssome type of flexible section of pipe that will allow it to move slightly without breaking. I would also call a Geotechnical Engineer to visit your site and investigate why your home is settling" I'd be perfectly fine with thast...just want to know what the cost would be for the plumber to temporarily do that fix and give me an estimate for a permanent fix after I get the structural person' s opinion. I already have one that will come out for $350 or if you can get the professional out there for that price and tell me what the temp fix will be until I can get an estimate

Not sure why you are so angry at me? I am trying to help you by offering guidance from my over 30 years of engineering experience.

The issue is that a plumber is not qualified and has no idea why an house is settling. He might give you his opinion, but he is not an expert in the subject like a Geotechinal Engineer is. The are Civil Engineers with in depth experience and schooling specifically in soil issues.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On what basis does it show that I'm angry? I'm just frustrated because you sent me a message that you'd send a plumber to do a temp fix and then get the professional; and when I agree with you you say I'm angry and that a plumber is not qualified. I'm confused! and I don't want to call you I've already explained why! I already agreed to pay $36 if satisfied and I'm sticking with that!

OK

Do you have any questions I have not answered?

The system generates that call thing, it is not me asking over and over.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just re-read my questions and your answers. You have not yet answered any of my direct questions...so I think we better just stop wasting each other's time! Goodbye.
I definitely have not received a direct answer to any of my questions...so I'm not satisfied!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've by the way printed all our questions and answers.

Good Luck with your issue!