StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Building a deck off of a second story bedroom 20 feet wide.

Customer Question

Building a deck off of a second story bedroom 20 feet wide. Owners only want corner Support. My proposal is a footing 30 inches square and 18 inches deep at grade with a mounting bracket, 6 by 6 posts and a6 by 14 beam between the posts. 2 X 12 joists from the ledger board on the wall to the beam 24 on center covered with 2x6 treated lumber + railing. Will that meet engineering calculations? If not, what would you change?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got a "response " but nothing except "hello". Need your professional opinion on my proposal. If it is viable I'll need the calculations. Pls let me know that expense too
Thanks,
Larry.(###) ###-####

I apologize for the technical difficulty. I posted a few questions.

The 6x14 beam is going the 20'? What is the joist span?

Do you know the species and grade of lumber?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Beam . Would be Douglas fir material grade 2. The deck is 8 feet deep. So the entire deck is 8 by 20 surface material would be treated 2x sixes railings we can take care of

So you need calculations for the beam only? I can offer that to you as an additional service. I will submit the offer now. If you accept I will post the calculations within 2 hours of you accepting.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need a full set of calculations. Starting with the foundation, its size, and required hardware to hook up the 6 by 6 post, then the bean calculations, then the joists whet her they would need to be 24 on center or 16 on center or 12 on center.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The original design included a ground beam for seismic stability. A friend who is a General Contractor said that it was a massive over build, and suggested I get another opinion. He is the one who specified the footings, and 6x6 posts, for which I need a confirmation that these will support the deck (no roofing, just an open deck.)

Where is the project located?

I will need to submit a new offer if you need calculations for everything.

Who designed the grade beam? Do you know the reason? Was there a geotechnical investigation?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Location is Coronado, CA. No geotechnical investigation . A friend who is a retired architect from LA drew the plans and over engineered them to be sure they went through plan approval.. I will look forward to your new offer to get all the calculations thank you

I will be able to provide calculations, but not a stamp. I just want to be clear about that before I make the offer.

I will include a seismic load analysis. Calculations for the footings, posts, beams, and joists. Is there anything else for which you need the calculations?

Here is a link for the pier to footing detail and beam to pier detail.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8uhuc744o8vq7oj/Column_to_Footing_Detail.pdf

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not an expert in the calculations so looking to you to tell me what else I might need. I wouldn't like to have the metal called out for the Simpson post holders and post to being Saddles. Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That should have been "I would " and "post to beam"

I believe what I've stated will be enough. I will submit the offer for the stated calculations. If you accept the offer, it will take a few days to put them all together.

Hello, do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Waiting for the owners to decide

Gotcha.