walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Need help calculating a beam spanning 14' Beam carries 2nd

Customer Question

Need help calculating a beam spanning 14'
Beam carries 2nd floor, ceiling and roof loads
Total load is 22kips
Load pfl is 1475
Looking for an LVL or MicroLam
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answers:
Roof is asphalt shingles
Slope is 6/12 on the front, 4/12 on the back
Roof is stick framed, not truss
Floor joist span #3 and #4 is 13'-0"
We are sizing "New Beam #4"
#4 beam span is 14'
House is located in coastal NH.Anything else?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple of engineered wood options for your 14’ span exterior wall beam:
5-1/2” x 11-1/4” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP
3-1/2” x 14” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.