walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I would like to size a 6" steel beam 13' span with a 2nd

Customer Question

I would like to size a 6" steel beam for a 13 ' span with a 2nd floor above and roof over. would a 6x6/10lbs work.??
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 11 months ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
question #1 location#4 span13' Q#2 joist#.3 span32' ... Q3yes roof spans over area.6/12 pitch.24"o.c.factory truss...Q4 Houghton Lake Mi 48629..Q5 roofing asphalt shingles..

You say Joist #3 is 32', that seems kind of long. Is that the distance of Joist #3 and #4 together?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Question 3/ yes it is ioist#3 and #4 thank you

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W6x25 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 13’ span exterior wall beam. This beam is 6.125" wide, 6.375" deep and weighs 25 pounds per foot of beam.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions