StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

My husband and I just purchased a house a couple months ago.

Customer Question

My husband and I just purchased a house a couple months ago. Once we moved in we really noticed with furniture that the house feels unlevel. The floors seem to slope towards the center of the home. This is a ranch style house with a full basement. The basement is finished so my husband tore sheet rock out of a closet. Wood support beams, there are no steele supports. What should our next step be? Hard to find a structural engineer in our home town. Thank you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, any ideas as to what could be happening? Our main floor has very few crack over the door frames. But standing in one area, you can slightly feel the slope toward the center.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

What is the span and size of the wood beam? Is the sloping of the floor worse at the ends or center of the wood beam?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will measure these and get back with u. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Thank you. I'll look for this information. Happy New Year.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Our main beam spans ~54' and the beam size is 4 3/4" x 9 1/2". The slope goes toward the center of the house. Joist are also 2x10

54'? What is the space between posts?

I understand it slopes toward the center, but is that slope to the center worse toward the middle of the 54' beam length or toward the ends?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There are no steel posts but there is a framed 2x4 wall running through the center of the basement underneath the beam. The basement has been finished with Sheetrock but what we can see from garage and under stairs almost half the length of the house there are no steel posts but when my husband opened up the other side in a closet still no signs of steel posts? Is that normal? And yes, it seems to slope more towards the middle. Sorry this is so confusing.

It does make sense of there is a wall in the basement for the entire length of the house.

It sounds like settlement of the interior load bearing wall.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What would be the best remedy and what type of specialist would be the best qualified to fix this? we don't want our roof and other components of the house to be messed up. We can deal with cosmetics. Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
any information on where to go to find the best qualified person would be great! I have look in my surrounding area for structural engineers and have yet to find a local person. Many general contractors.

What is your city and state?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ashland, KY
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you have any information on the best place to look for a structural engineer? You ask for city and state: