walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am building an underground shelter and roof I have 9 - 24

Customer Question

Hi...I am building an underground shelter and for the roof I have 9 - 24 foot w12x30 beams sitting on 3-24 foot - w12x20 beams all in upright position. One down each end and one in the middle. I have 5 upright support beams of 10 inch heavy w-beams ( not sure of size but heavy flange and webs) supporting each of the 3 beams.. The 2 end support beams are set in one foot from the upper 9 making a span of 22 feet total and 11 to the middle support. The top beams are on 33 1/4" centers. I am concerned with the weight on the three with the legs and I am considering welding in some support pieces between the two flanges to strengthen the vertical position of those three beams. I will be using railroad tie decking on top and covering with dirt. My question is how much weight per sq. foot will the structure support. I will have to figure the rail ties total weight and the dirt. But need to know about how much it will support per sq. foot
Thanks
Gary.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 11 months ago.

Do you have any drawings or sketches you can share with me?

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi....sorry I'm at work and had to go take care of something. I will e-mail you a picture I have of early stage into the build but should help you see what I'm doing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This was early in the build so not all the beams are in place. I added one more support beam down the middle with 4 legs and added 3 legs to the outer support beams. Also there are a total of 9 on top now. Hope this helps.Hope this works.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also if possible I would like my pics and our conversation kept private.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

This forum is not private.

I made a sketch, see attached and let me know if I have it right and can you supply the dimensions that I have ? on

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi....I made a mistake, the 3 beams under the 9 beams are also w12x30's. Also I now have 5 legs under the out side beams equally spaced, and 4 legs under the middle beam equally spaced. The dimensions with the question marks are as follows...1 foot..11feet..11feet..1 foot.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't need you to call me. That was done in error.

That is OK

Can you tell me the depth of soil you will have on top of your railroad ties? If I know this, I can check the capacity of your system.

Also, do you know if your steel beams are 36 ksi steel or 50 ksi steel?