walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

, I am wanting to build a shop behind the house and

Customer Question

Customer: Hi,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am wanting to build a shop behind the house and want to be able to store things above, so I want to be able to lay 2x10" boards along the 20' span to support 3/4" tongue and groove dead load and then need to know what I can support with this arrangement. 40x60' is what I'm wanting to do. I'm guessing that placing a steel beam along the 60' length and providing a mid-span column will be the hot ticket. I will pour 4klb concrete and make sure that there is a beam down the middle within as well. I don't want to split the span twice and do two beams. If I need to provide a second mid-span column, I can do that
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Structural Engineering Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I don't mind at all. I posted the Q a bit early so you didn't think I was just sitting there. I would like to provide all of the necessary details. I'm also wanting to build an awning on the outside to park under and need help with the design and span info regarding that. Is that a second charge? Just curious.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 11 months ago.

I can help

Let me read your complete question a bit closer

OK, so you need me to size a center steel beam that will clear span 30' and have 20' span 2x10's off of each side of the steel beam, is this correct?

What type of items do you plan on storing on the 2nd floor?

Let me know when you come back online