walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

My name is ***** *****. I want to replace a load bearing

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** *****. I want to replace a load bearing wall with LVLs.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I have a bunch of details. I was hoping you could let me know how big they need to be and how many I will need. The wall is 18' long, and I want as little "beam" showing as possible, so I'm planning on putting as much of the LVLs as I can into the joists above. The joists will therefore be attached to the LVLs. 2 story house joists are 2x8
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Structural Engineering Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. Can I keep posting the details?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No roof trusses, since the top floor has cathedral ceilings. The main cross beam at the peak of the roof has a perpendicular wall under the middle of it. That wall sits right on top of the wall I'm replacing. I can't tell if the upstairs wall supports the cross beam at the peak of the roof or if it's non-load bearing. The majority of the roof weight is supported by the exterior walls.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The ridge beam is 4"x12". One side is 8'6" and the other side is 13'6".On the long side, there is another beam (same size) running perpendicular to the main beam we have been talking about. That one is about 5-6' in from the exterior wall. It runs out to the exterior walls, so I think this supports some of the load.I will post some pic's online so you can see them.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You can see them here if the attachments aren't working.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pjcuz6rjsaj47x7/AADSu06tD3Gh-3xtXql69eO5a?dl=0
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The joist spans on either side of the wall I'm removing are 12' and 13'6". I'm in Colorado Springs, CO if you need to calculate snow load. The roof is metal and the previous asphalt shingle roof is still under it.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I can help you with this, but it will be later this evening. Will that work for you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Today will be fine. Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Never mind - I don't need help anymore.