walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Sorry had to go get my wallet..question again...I am

Customer Question

Hi, sorry had to go get my wallet..question again...I am building a roof over a deck. It will have a slope from the house of 1' to 12' run supported at one end by the house, and at other end by two colums. I want four beams or joists the roof width will be 12-6" of the deck so the four beams will be on 4'-2" centers and approx 11' in length. The beams will support three large glass panels, with a sun shade material to be drawn over the top for shade. So the weight on the beams will be large glass panels, approx 4'-2" wide by approx 11' long.
So what size wooden beams should I use..I am thinking cedar?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 11 months ago.

I can help

Let me read your question a bit closer

1. So you will have 3 large 4'-2" wide by 11' long glass panels laying flat on your roof beams? The edge of each glass panel with be supported by a couple of inches of the beam, correct?

2. What city and state are you located in for possible snow load consideration?

3. Do you have any idea of the weight of each individual glass panel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Live in Rowlett, Texas 75011. Winters are rather mild, and we normally get rain and ice storms, but not much snow. The largest snow fall I have seen here in 40 years is 6 inches.I am waiting on a quote from Rowlett Glass, they say they can supply the glass and are looking to provide a quote.Standing by for phone call., we might want to engineer the glass ourselves?Ron

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Here are my assumptions for your beam sizing:

Tributary width = 4.5’

Beam Span = 11’

Live Load = 10 psf

Dead Load = 12 psf

You can use 4”x10” Cedar (#2 grade) beam

There will be less than ¼” of deflection at midspan under full load

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions

If you could rate my answer, that would be great. Thanks