walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am designing a 1 story frame house. Considering moderate

Customer Question

I am designing a 1 story wood frame house. Considering moderate snow,roof,walls,finishes,framed floors and 40 psf live load. Footprint is 50'x50' Can the load be carried on W12x30 I-beams with 16' spans between columns? 3 beams equally spaced uniformly loads? What is the deflection? What is the safety margin?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 12 months ago.

I can help

do you have a rough sketch with some dimensions you could share with me?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not now I just need A "ballpark" answer
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Refer to details in original question. Thank you

So when you say three beams evenly spaced, are you assuming a permiter block wall foundation with the beams spaced at approx. 12.5' o.c.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
perimeter walls are poured concrete the three beams would be approx. 16' 6" center to center and support columns approx. the same distance apart

16.67' o.c. would be two beams

is the beam going to be 36 ksi or 50 ksi?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Correct two beams and 36k

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W12x40 (36 ksi) steel beam for your 16.67’ span beams. The beam is 8” wide and 12” deep. It weighs 40 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you what would be a ballpark deflection for the loading information I gave you?

Approx. 1/2" of deflection at midspan under total load.

f you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks