walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

How can I change the truss design in my garage to allow

Customer Question

How can I change the truss design in my garage to allow for the ceiling center can be raised so I can lift a car high enough to get under it. The ceiling height is 9'10" to start just going to raise the center 2'6" to allow for roof of car or truck. Garage
has 8 trusses thinking I will only change the 4 center trusses.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me take a look at your information

Expert:  walkereng replied 12 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Trusses are designed as a complete system with various loading on different members. So your trusses are most likely designed for an approx. 10 psf Live Load on the bottom chords of the trusses, along with a roof Dead Load and Live load on the top chords of the trusses.

If you cut and move any members in a truss, all of the load will redistribute differently to all of the members and potential over-stress various members.

Your best bet would be to look at your trusses and find any stamps on them that were put on by the Truss Manufacturer. Then you can contact them directly with your request and they could possibly run a revised truss configuration through their design software and advise you on what your possibilities are.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks