walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

You helped me out with a corner structure issue in Sept

Customer Question

Hi There! You helped me out with a corner structure issue in Sept 2013. This inquiry is an extension of that discussion we had about the corner posts. We have developed the modular system and calculated the structural integrity and plasticity of the steel
structure. Until yesterday all was good in the neighborhood. Then the acoustic test came in showing that we need a floor section with much more density to meet the highest Swedish standards regarding low impact sound levels.. In fact, we have to add 90 mm
of concrete in the floor section which adds 3 000 kg to each module and doubling the weight of each module. The problem is that the structural engineer we are working with is swamped with work until the last week of december and we need need to know asap what
kind of changes we need to do to make this work, since the prototype modules are scheduled to go into production within two weeks. Click here to download a zip with CAD files: https://sprend.com/download.htm?C=c0c751d267c34eb2a7a48e1cb8cf1530 These are my
main questions: 1. Will the current lower outer C-beams (UNP 65x160 mm) hold the additional weight of the concrete? (I probably know the answer to that question, I’m afraid) Note: This beam is PARTLY connected to the upper outer C-beam through an number of
welded VKR 60x60x4 mm as you can see. In addition there are 80 mm of PIR insulation between the 60x60x4 mm tubes. The PIR insulation is rigid and pretty strong (see specifications below) 2. If not, will it be possible to weld a supporting steel plate centered
on the outside of the C-beams to make it strong enough? If yes… dimentions? Note: The max length of the supporting plate can be the beam length minus 2 m (it can start 1 m in from each end). 3. If the supporting plate is not enough can we add a pin support
between the lower bean and the upper beam to reduce the long span? In that case, how much weight will travel down the building structure, increasing for every floor added? And will the existing 60x60x4 mm steel be enough to carry that weight? Note: We will
use a high density elastomer plate between the lower and upper beam for pin support. I assume that this support can not be placed in the middle of the beam where there are walls only covering a part of of the long side of the module (?). I assume the support
must be placed where there are support from the 60x60x4 tubes (?). (See attached image) Could we set up a Skype Call to talk about this. I could also call you on your phone if that is better. Best / Michael PIR Properties: COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH AT 10% COMPRESSION:
(EN 826) 150kPa Tensile stress perpendicular to the faces is determined in accordance with EN 1607: Between 40 und 900 kPa. Shear strengths in accordance with EN 12090: between 120 and 450 kPa.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

I can help. I will look through all your information and get back to you today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds great. Do you want me to explain it on the phone? Or have a skype call?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no problem adding the extra amount for the phone call but it only works on US phones
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Weight of the concrere is about 2800jg devided between the slabs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI there. It's Saturday now. I fully understand if you have other things on your plate, but I need to move forward with this asap. Will you get back to me on this or should I try to find another engineer to help me? Pls advice.

Adding that much concrete will definitely require the structural member sizes to be increased.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that I assumed. Is that your response? Have you Done Any calculations At all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you do not get back to me today I need to find another engineer at just answer. Pls respond.