walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

10' pass through opening from den to sun room. wall supports

Customer Question

10' pass through opening from den to sun room. wall supports roof structure. 16" of wall to left of opening and 55" of wall to the right. There is 14" above opening to ceiling. What type beam do I need?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joist and rafters are 24" on center. There is 30 foot span from interior wall to the wall we are working with. Figure # ***** best demonstrates what we are working with. WE are located in central Texas( Georgetown ). Just north of Austin. The roof has asphalt shingles. It is a single story building.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 10’ span beam:

3-1/2” x 9-1/4” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP

3-1/2” x 9-1/4” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.