walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a number of Rilco glue lam rafters from an old

Customer Question

Hi , I have a number of Rilco glue lam rafters from an old bowling alley that my client wants to reuse for another project. They are 72' span 10' high. the actual laminated rafter is 2" thick and 7 3/4" high. Or goal is to use the rafters doubled up to a 4" thick dimension. We do have a structural engineer on board but are having difficulty figuring out a way to get the new configuration re-classified for loads.
Do you have any suggestions as to how to do this?
thanks
Keith XXXXXXXXX
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I can help.

Do you have a cross section or any pictures you can share?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi , attached are some pictures and the data sheet from Alamco engineer. Again we do not wish to use it as originally intended back in the 60's. As a fact I do not think they are allowed in the IBC codes due to collapse issue in a fire.

These are tied arches, not beams. There is a very big difference in behavior. Using these as roof joists or something similar would result is a greatly reduced span.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know they are tied arches.
Again, we plan on only using the arch rafter doubled up as a beams.
What we are looking for is... if 2 of the glue lam rafters were bolted together without the bottom cord then supported with post & beam on each side of arch what distance could the double glue lam beam go? in Grand Rapids Michigan.
Also how do we get a qualification for that data to give to the local building department so we can use those beams on the project?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We plan on cutting the glue lam rafters shorter than the original 72' span. Or providing post and beams support below as required , also this will be outside with no walls. like a trellis work.

What spacing of beams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they will be spaced as required. we are hoping to have a max of 4' between on one end and 2'6" on the other...like a fan.
The only roof will be awning fabric on a aluminum frame set on top of the arched beams most of the trellis will have no roof at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the big question is how do we get these re-used beams certified? It is a large commercial project.

How would you even attempt to straighten the curves beams?

Can you find a stamp anywhere on them that will give you the stress grading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not going to straiten the curved beams. going to use them arched. there are some numbers on the beams at the roof connection to the wall.
They are 3 number we found : 2 SCC7074 SCC7074 2 SCC7074-2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the computer pushed the numbers together so 2SCC7074.......SCC7074.........2SCC7074-2I am not sure what they mean

I've done a lot of research on this and I can't find anything with respect to those numbers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks for trying