walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

What is the maximum span interior wall cut-out which is now

Customer Question

What is the maximum span for an interior wall cut-out which is now vertical 2x6s with 16" spacing in order to make an opening. Of course, I would use multiple 2x6s for the 2 posts and multiple 2x10s horizontally for the beam?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Are you limiting the header dept to 2x10s?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not limiting the header to 2x10s. The other cut-out in the same wall for 36" doorway has 2x10 headers and they are inexpensive and readily available...that's why I chose 2x10s.

If you're not limited by beam size, you can span as far as you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to install an opening about 100" wide with a header at 84" above the floor (Same height as the door opening). Can I use (4) 2x10s horizontally on edge as the header, and (3) 2x6s for each post? Then I would leave the 2x6s above the header @ 16" spacing to support the above floor. If not, what size header should I use?

Will the header support one floor and the attic? What is the joist length on each side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The header will support 2 floors plus an attic. The joist to the front side of the header is 25' long (of which 16' is cantilevered outside as part of a deck) The joist to the rear side of the wall is hidden by the ceiling in the basement & I cannot tell how long the joist is...the outside deck ends at the wall so there is no cantilevered section on the rear side.

A 16' cantilever with a 9' back span? That doesn't make sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The left end of the 25' truss rests on a solid wood beam (5" wide x16" high) that runs perpendicular to the wall that I intend to install the 100" opening.All of the trusses that are 25' long (@16" spacing) in the ceiling in the basement extend out to support the 16' deck. There are 14 of these 25' trusses resting on the beam. I'm sorry if my description doesn't make sense, but I don't know how else to describe it. I am a homeowner so I am not used to dealing with these type of issues. Can I send you a picture of the basement ceiling and of the basement wall?

A picture would be very helpful. You can attach them here with the paper clip icon.