walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I own a 2-storey house. We are planning to remove a section

Customer Question

Hi there.
I own a 2-storey house. We are planning to remove a section of the main floor load bearing wall in a 2-story home (which would result in an approx. 15’ beam span/opening). The wall is midway through the main floor (approx 24’ total width with an approx 12’ span needed to be carried to each either side of beam). The above floor joists (2x8) are not continuous but overlap.
As I would like it to be a concealed beam, I would like to know if a W6 x 25 steel beam would suffice?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For sure,#1 - Beam #2
#2 - Joist Span - #3 = 12' & Joist Span #4 = 12'
#3 - I believe they clear span between the exterior walls (the eaves extend beyond exterior walls). Trusses are factory built
#4 - Western Canada - Saskatoon, SK - so yes snow considerations are relevant
#5 - AsphaltIt is a 2-story w/ basement.Thanks! If it looks like a W6x25 steel beam won't work - could you advise as to a suitable W8 ? I am hopeful the W6 will so that I can fully conceal the beam in the ceiling...Also, I would reduce the beam span opening possibly if it is the determinant for using the W6.Thanks for your help!
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Any storage or occupancy in the attic area?

I am leaving the office right now, can I get back with you later this evening after I get home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, nothing in attic area...Later this evening would be great - thanks for your help!
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** you later

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Walkereng,I never saw an answer to this?Thanks,
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the long delay!

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W8x24 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 15’ span. This beam is 6.5" wide, 7.875" deep and weighs 24 pounds per foot of beam.

If you reduce your span to 13', you can use a W6x25 (50 ksi) steel beam. This beam is 6.125" wide, 6.375" deep and weighs 25 pounds per foot of beam.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks