StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a 40' x 40' (approx) structure that I need inspected

Customer Question

I have a 40' x 40' (approx) structure that I need inspected for proper installation. Two outboard lvl's that are loaded from flat 24" trusses (24pcs). How do I qualify a custom made bracket (joist hanger) to hold the loads on one end of the structure up against a 3-24 lvl? The brackets were made from welding two pieces of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3/16" 24" long angle iron, 1-1/2" x 3/8" x 3/16" channel iron, and flat iron 1" x 3/16". I have a picture.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I can help. Can I get back to you in a couple hours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My internet went down and just came back. My day is crazy so I can't quite put times on when I am available. When I am in front of my computer is pretty much when I am available. I am here for another 15mins then I have to leave and hope to be back soon after.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should be back in 2 hrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there?

Sorry for the delay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, no worries. Help me out with this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand a Simpson Strong Tie has specific engineering specifications for a wide array of applications. You will see what is the appropriate Simpson hanger in the picture, however, you will also see a custom made bracket (hanger) as well. How do I qualify this cus***** *****ger short of sending it off to a lab where it can get certified for load types?

Is this connection loading desired for a single condition as a one-off use of for something more universal? If for a one-off use, I can provide calculations as an additional service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is just for the structure pictured, where we want to replace all the original Simpson hangers with the custom fabricated brackets described and pictured. These custom brackets are for this structure only and do not warrant any type of universal application other than the specific use for each truss (24 pieces to be installed) for this structure. I have many more pics if that is useful. I am sending extra pics and explanation for background information that we may discuss at some point later. Please observe the pictures with the truss showing the gap between the heel and bottom chord at the point of the connector plate. This was my first main concern but I have been told that the gap is acceptable and that the single hanger that the heel sits on is stable enough. That is fine, though, I wish to be sure and supersede the original hanger as you can see will improve the stability of the structure enormously. My other concern was how the original hangers were installed. Simpson calls for 16d nail fasteners in all holes. One can clearly see that the nails are not 16d and that they were not driven all the way through correctly which compromises the safety and stability of the structure because of the shear strength not fully available.What calculations can you provide and how would you be able to do so? What will the additional service cost be? I may have other questions that I would like answered. Based on the information I provided, do you feel confident that I have provided enough good information and that you can provide me with sound answers?Please be aware that I will be on the road for the next three days and may not have access to the internet during this time. I will do my best to reply. I appreciate your time, availability and help up to this point. I hope we can come to an agreement. Let me know.Thanks!

I will look at all of your information today and submit an additional service offer for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have completed my road trip, please inform me of what you can provide for me and what the additional service is.Thanks,
Pj

Hello Pj.

I have looked at these and I can do calculations to give you a maximum allowable reaction. I will assume they deliver a vertical shear only and no moment into the LVL as torsion. I will submit the offer for you to consider. If you accept the offer, I will provide you the capacity and the assumptions associated with the design by the end of the weekend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your time in providing information surrounding my question up to now. I am very interested in following through with the additional service. I am wrapping up this project and I believe this would be a cherry on top to finalize everything.
Do I understand that you are able to do these certified calculations based on the photos and the specifications that I provided (the assumptions)?
Also, will you apply the monies charged for the question towards the additional service?
Will it be a certified statement that I can print?With appreciation,
Pj

Hello PJ. I won't be able to stamp the calculations, but they will be legitimate hand calculations with all assumptions stated. You will be able to print them. I am able to do them based on the pictures, but I may need a few dimensions.