walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

If I had a 6"X4" by 78" spruce beam supported on each side

Customer Question

If I had a 6"X4" by 78" spruce wood beam supported on each side so that the net exposure of the beam was 73" and it was to be evenly loaded across the 73", what dead load can it support. If it was a 4"X4" X 73" supported and loaded as depicted above, what dead load can it support. What size channel iron can be suBsituted for each case.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

What will this beam be supporting?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what kind of spruce is it: Sitka, White, Red or Black ?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The inside flange of a 150mmX150mmX10mmX7mm steel H beam. One on each side of the spuce beam.The spruce is white.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to correct the H-beam dimensions. They are 150mmX150mmX7mmX10mm. The 7mm is the web thickness and the 10mm are the flange thickness.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I need to know what is creating the load: snow load from a roof, floor live load in a house, floor live load in a commercial building, etc?

Where will these steel beams rest along the span of the spruce beam?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The steel beams will lay parallel to each other and be 78" apart. The wood beams will be perpendicula to the steel beams. The wood will fit into the inside flange of the steel beam and the wood beam ends will rest against the web of each steel beams.
The load will be created by 6 feet of gravel.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

If you will have 6' high gravel fill on this structure, your load will be (120 pcf)(6')=720 psf load on your structure

If you place 4"x6" spruce members on their side and have them touching and spanning 78", they can not support 720 psf.

Also, based on the span of your steel beams, I cam not sure they can take the 6' of gravel.

Do you have any kind of sketch that you can share with me, so that I can make sure I fully understand you configuration, and possibly recommend alternative sizing to meet your needs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can i provide a sketch of the contemplated structure?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

The is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Displaying Untitled-2-p1.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Displaying Untitled-2-p1.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The diagrams I sent you reflect the structure that is contemplated. The steel beams are arches that measure 150mmx150mmx7mmx10mm. The lagging ( wood beams/steel channels) will set in the inside flanges between the arches parallel to the length of the constructed tunnel. These arches will cover a water course and will be against a hill on the far side. The completed structure will be buried by back filling with earth to a level of 6 ft above the top of the arches. The length of the tunnel will be 50 meters.

My question was specific to the size of the wood beam that would be the lagging.. You answered that the dead load would be too much for the wood. What size channel iron would work?

Thank you for you professionalism.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Walkereng

Have you received the additional info and sketchs. Please confirm

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can not open your attachments, try sending them to***@******.***

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay. I did not see your attachments in my inbox. I just printed them out and will take a look when I get home this evening. Talk to you soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am still waiting for his analysis. I have not heard from him.