walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am planning to have built a detached garage, 22'x29'. This

Customer Question

I am planning to have built a detached garage, 22'x29'. This will provide for two cars and a side work area. It will have a low pitch roof. I live in southern California, no snow. I wish to provide for a storage area over cars and or the side work area. I envision a 16 foot wide garage door and a walk-thru door on the front face wall of the garage with a window or two on the garage's side walls. No features are envisioned for the garage wall. Local zoning prevents two stories. The (average) height of the highest roof gable of the building cannot exceed 14 ft maximum. If I wished to create overhead storage space of three to four feet in height for dead weight loads (20#-40#/sqft?), what type of creative beams structure could provide for such an overhead space?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello

How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.

I can size a beam for you as this question, but I would have to submit an additional service offer to put together a framing plan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not yet "happy" with the initial answer.

I will opt out for you. It's not realistic to provide a drawing for the price of the question.