walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I had a concrete pad poured19'x26' 3 1/2to

Customer Question

I had a concrete pad poured19'x26' 3 1/2to 4'' thick with a 24'' by approximately one foot wide footing with re bar, running the perimeter. I now want to build a structure on top of it, code requires 36'' and it was suggested that I build piers and attach
to footing. I have an idea about digging down under where the support posts will be going, cleaning dirt off footing, drilling holes in footing and putting re bar in the holes running down to new concrete footing that would go under and beside old slab. Would
this work and pass code in kcmo.?I did not want to cut concrete pad out and put in regular piers down the 36'', but i might have to as on one side their is another concrete pad and driveway. Any insights will be helpful. Thanks
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any sketches or drawings that you can share with me, or even pictures?

You can attach them to the Chat Window.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you come back online.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you still need help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a slab with24" footing, code calls for 36" under support posts. Code office said i could cut out concrete and re-bar dig down 36" and put a 12" sleeve with re bar and pour new cement. Would be costly, i am sure to hire this out, (haven't gotten any bids yet ) Sending two drawings. I don't know the best way to fix this. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Your detail of digging adjacent to the existing slab can work. You will need to dig back under the slab enough so the new concrete will go under the slab and rest on top of the newly poured pier. Drilling and epoxying rebar into the existing slab and extending it down into the new concrete pier will be good.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

You will need to make sure you rent a concrete vibrator to make sure the new concrete freely flows up underneath your existing slab.