walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Headers: Need a 4" header across a 80" span on the first

Customer Question

Headers: Need a 4" header across a 80" span on the first story outside wall of a 2 story home within zip 07421. The home is post and beam with a current header of 4x5 old growth lumber (circa 1907). Also need a header of 8' span on the first floor interior load bearing wall.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Q1: #4
Q2: 15'5"
Q3: Roof trusses span between exterior walls. Not factory.
Q4: zip 07421
Q5: Asphalt Shingle
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

For Beam #4, you can use an S4x9.5 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 7’ span beam. The beam is 2.75” wide and 4” deep. It weighs 9.5 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to provide solid mechanical connections of each of joists to the top of the steel beam. This will provide the needed lateral bracing of the compression flange of the steel beam. You will need to have a local engineer size your column supports, connections and foundations.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks