walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

There is 1,000's of pipe pole barns in my area, but zero

Customer Question

There is 1,000's of pipe pole barns in my area, but zero have a permit. I want to 100% code.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

What questions do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have enough 2 7-8" oil well pipe to build a 30' X 40' pole barn. Just kinda odd with all this materal being sold, that NO one has plans for this. In the SE New Mexico & Western Texas areas there must be MILLIONS of lerneral feet of surplus pipe.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

The pipe you have specified is a very strong pipe and would work fine for the vertical posts of a pole barn.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I have not seen any plans for a pole barn made of this type of pipe. The Building Code does not cover construction with pipe as supporting members and beams. This would have to be designed by a local engineer to meed the Building Code requirements.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

In my mind, the tricky part would be designing all of your various connections.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks