walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

We are looking to buy a home. One we really like has a

Customer Question

We are looking to buy a home. One we really like has a questionable modification. The I beam that runs the width of the house has a hole cut thru it to install a garage door opener. Would this compromise the structure of the property and if so what would need done to correct it?
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It I beam is steel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  ki4prz replied 1 year ago.

I'm happy to help you with this. Do you have any pictures of the area? Is this in a basement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have pics. It is in the basement. They have a garage in this part of the house. It is the steel beam that runs across the house. It the skinny part of the beam they actually cut out an hole to run a garage door opener track. I could not believe it when we saw it.
Expert:  ki4prz replied 1 year ago.

Some holes are OK in the skinny part of the beam (called the web), but it depends on a lot of factors:

• Beam Size
  • Beam Loading
  • Beam Span
  • Size and Location of Holes

I see now that you requested a live phone call. I'd be happy to speak with you, I'll send an additional service offer shortly.

Expert:  ki4prz replied 1 year ago.

If you are unable to speak via phone, I'm happy to continue chatting with you. Can you give me an idea of the factors I mentioned above?

• What is above this beam?
  • How far does the beam span?
  • How big is the beam?
  • How big is the hole and how far along the span is it?