walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I live in a single story ranch house with 16" on center

Customer Question

I live in a single story ranch house with 16" on center framing throughout and a snow load in the winter. I am retrofitting a 9' wide French door combination in an exterior bearing wall and need a couple of inches more vertical space in the rough opening.
What dimension glulam could I install as a substitute for two doubled up 10' x 2" x 10"?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1- New beam #5.
2- Span is 11'.
3- Load of ceiling joists is transferred to exterior wall where I am going to install the French doors and an interior beam (beam #3?) that runs along the length of the house (these loads are transferred to foundation).
4- Oakland, New Jersey 07436 (30 miles northwest of New York City).
5- Asphalt shingles.
6/7/8- One story house with basement.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, I have two more questions and then I can size your beam:

1. Is there any storage or occupancy in the attic area?

2. From my drawing, what would be your dimension that I call "Truss Span" at the top of the sheet?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you come back online

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you could answer my two questions above, that would be great.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. There is no occupancy in the attic. There is light storage (no significant load) in the attic.

2. The roof truss span is 24' with no webs connecting the trusses.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple of engineered wood options for your 10’ header beam:

3-1/2” x 7-1/4” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP

3-1/2” x 8-5/8” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions