ki4prz
ki4prz,
Experience:  Bridge Structural Designer at Alabama Department of Transportation
88321914

I need more vertical space to install retrofit French doors.

Customer Question

I need more vertical space to install retrofit French doors. I live in a single story ranch in the northeast that often has a snow load. Is there a smaller glulam I can substitute for a doubled-up 12' 2" x 10"?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  ki4prz replied 1 year ago.

I need some additional information to size your header.

• I see that you live in a single story house. Do the ceiling joists and rafters bear on this header? If so, what is the width of the roof, and what pitch (rise over run)? How far do the ceiling joists span?
  • Can you tell me where you are in the Northeast so that I can more accurately determine the proper snow loading?
  • What is the width of the wall in which the header will be located, 2x4 framing or 2x6?
  • What is the maximum vertical space you have for the header so that the french doors will fit?