walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Saw a rafter arrangement today that stumped me. Picture a

Customer Question

Saw a rafter arrangement today that stumped me. Picture a typical garage rafter and ridge beam set up. On the rafters on one side of the ridge beam, vertical struts dropped down to a load bearing wall about 7 feet from the outer wall. The other side of the ridge beam had another, second set of rafters running from the ridge beam down at an angle (steeper than the roof rafters) to a point about the same distance from the outer wall as the other side's struts. Almost like a fink truss, but no strut running back up to the rafter. Trying to find a reference for this arrangement. Any idea?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Would you be able to draw a rough sketch of the configuration you saw and attach it to the Chat Window?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See attached photos.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

The vertical struts transfer load from the roof rafters down to a bearing wall. This strut reduces the span of the roof rafters, thus allowing you to use shallower depth rafters.

The struts on the other side look similar to a modified scissor truss, see link below:

http://myersink.com/types-benefits-of-roof-trusses-raftertales-home-improvement.html/types-benefits-of-roof-trusses-raftertales-home-improvement-xpzpngnz

It is hard to tell if they are doing anything structural or if they are there to frame in a ceiling.

Just an FYI, here are the requirements for Braced Rafters:

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This didn't really provide me with anything I didn't already know.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you did no feel my information was useful.