StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a 1960s built house in san diego. If you cut off the

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1960s built house in san diego. If you cut off the garage it is a rectangle about 65' by 24'. The 65' sides are the bearing walls of a 4/12 roof with asphalt shingles. The joists are connected in the center by any upset beam that is about 3.5" x12 or 14" cant remember. The beam sits directly on a center wall that goes 3/4 the legnth of the house. where it ends the beam spans the rest. I want to cut back the center wall and Install a new beam flush to the ceiling that will span roughly 28' but lets call it 30'. There will be no load besides the weigh of the beam, joists, drywall, ceiling fans and the ocoaissional person crawling around to do work. Furnace is on the other side of the house. What size beam and what post req along with it do I need?
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear the original beam is flush to the ceiling. Im not sure if that is actually called an upset beam.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.

I will size a pressure treated glulam for you.

Do you have storage in the attic?

The joists are 12' on each side of the beam, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roughly 12', lets call it 14' to be safe. No storage but could you give me a size with or without. I will never store because its to far from the access but I might overbuild just incase down the road someone else would like to.

A 6.75" x 18" pressure treated glulam 24F-V4 will just barely work for L/240 deflection with the attic storage load.

6.75" x 16.5" without the attic storage load.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be the required post for a 6.75 x 18" glue Lam? How much contact would be needed?

A 6x6 hem-fir no. 2 or better will work well. You should have full bearing to minimize any eccentricity in the post.

Hello. Do you have any other questions on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.