walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 10,000 unit 11' wide x 9' deep that I want to

Customer Question

I have a 10,000 unit 11' wide x 9' deep that I want to attach 6" structural channel on the base rail of the 11' sides of the unit and have the steel stick an additional 2' on each side to allow the use of machines skates to move across the room and set in the permanent location. Is the 6" x 8.2# ***** strong enough?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you explain your structure in a bit more detail? Not sure what a "10,000 unit" is.

Can you provide a link to any kind of picture of a similar structure on the internet?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 10,000# ***** that I want to raise up about 8" and place machines skates or dollies under the C-channel. I want the skates out about 18" from the edge of the unit so we can move the unit over the 5" tall concrete pad it will set on permanently. We will use a floor jack on the corners to lift the unit up to remove the skates and set the unit on the pad. So the question is whether the 6x8.2# ***** is sufficient for the weight while the unit is being moved. See attachment for unit dimensions and other notes
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the drawing and information.

So just to make sure, you want to temporarily lift this AC unit with two Steel Channels and move it over to set it into it's permanent location, correct?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

One more question, the AC unit will rest on it's 4 corners only, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this steel is for temporary use only to assist in moving the units (~40' across a room). When set in place, the support will be along the full perimeter of the unit which has a base rail. Unsure, what the interior bottom of the unit looks like - may have additional rails, or flush solid bottom, or elevated solid bottom. The units will permanently set on the concrete pad.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Since we do not know how the unit will rest on the steel members, I will have to be conservative and assume that half the unit load will be placed at the midspan of each member.

Your proposed channels are too small.

I would suggest using structural steel tubing or small W section steel beams. You could use:

two T 6x5x 1/2" (50 ksi) structural steel tubes

or

two W8x15 (50 ksi) steel beams

I am concerned with possible lateral buckling of your proposed C channels when the AC unit is lifted and moved.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions