walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am working on a remodel. It has a hand framed p roof with

Customer Question

I am working on a remodel. It has a hand framed hip roof with a dropped 8' ceiling that has a midpoint bearing of 14' on either side of a bearing wall. I have demo'ed the rock lathe ceiling on 1 side and will replace it with 5/8" rock. I want to install a beam to carry the 14' ceiling rafters on each side. The length of the bearing wall to be replaced with a beam is 21'.
Will a 3-ply LVL dropped beam carry the ceiling load?
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I forgot. The 3-ply LVL would be 11 7/8".
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Location #3
2) Floor joist span #3 = 14', #4 = 14'
3) Hand framed hip roof where the ceiling load is being transferred to an interior bearing wall. Roof is only bearing on the exterior walls and transferred to foundation. The only thing bearing on the beam location #3 is the ceiling itself.
4) Lake Crystal, MN
5) Dimensional asphalt
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

1. OK, just to make sure, you are saying that not roof/snow load will be transferred down to this proposed beam, correct?

2. Any storage or occupancy in the attic area above this proposed beam?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Correct. No snow/roof load will be transferred to the beam.
2) No storage or occupancy in the attic area above.Due to head height on the main floor, I am limited to height on the LVL. Would a 3 ply 11 7/8" LVL carry the 21 lineal feet of load?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You will need to use a 4-ply LVL to stay with the 11-7/8" depth limit.

I can give you a multiple ply engineered wood option for your 21’ span beam:

4 Ply 1-1/2” x 11-7/8” Versa-Lam 2.0 2800 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

It would be appreciated if you could Rate my answer so I get credit for my work. Thanks