How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask canuck the pro Your Own Question

canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 2666
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
canuck the pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently bought my home, and it seems the Washing machine

Customer Question

Hello,
I recently bought my home, and it seems the Washing machine is leaking and we did not catch it until today. There is water damage to the trim on the floor and wall and I took a look under the home as well and it seems that there was a bit of water on the mat below, not much, but it's kinda like a drying , but damp area. Of more concern is the joist near the area. It seems to have had some water damage and there's even some small mushrooms growing from it! Eep.
I'm not sure what the right way to proceed is and what the cost would be. What are the options, considering that I'd likely need to do some work on the floor itself, near the wall and underneath.
Also, if it helps, i noticed that the water seemed primarily under a wet insulation pocket. The insulation itself was the wetter piece.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically, I'm looking for what my options really are. What sort of cost I'd be looking at (thousands? hundreds? ).I'm not sure what the cost is for the trim on the wall either. or the tile. Could these things just be dried out?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If it has not been leaking for a long time then it will very likely just need to be dried out. The first thing to do would be to remove any wet insulation and open the crawl space vents. Inside the laundry room put a dehumidifier for a day or so and that will remove any moisture in there. Once it is dry then assess the trim and see if it remains soft. Likely it will dry out and it is very likely the worst case is you will have to replace any trim that is swelled if it got that wet and replace the insulation. If the wood seems rotted from being wet for a long time then that would be a different story and also check for any black mold. Black mold usually only happens after an area has been wet and dark for a long time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,What about the joist below the floor under the home? It appears to have mini mushrooms growing out of it! That seems bad...
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

It is not unusual. Once the crawl space is dried out there will not be any more mushrooms. They cannot grow unless it is damp and dark. They will grow after a short time of the area being wet. Black mold will grow after an extended period of time. I am assuming you did not see any black mold and that is very good. Once you have everything dried then it may be a good idea to spray a little water and bleach mixture in the area to kill any remaining spores. Then once it is dry and the insulation replaced be sure to leave your crawl space vents open during non-freezing months. The air circulation will keep the environment fresh and dry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so I likely don't need to replace a lot of wood in the home, or the joist itself? What's the risk of not doing it.It is likely just a short amount of time that it's had the issue. I think the vents are open right now (have always been) as I can see the light underneath the home. So that's good i guess.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

You will see that a joist that is water damaged will be soft and swelling. There is not a lot of expertise that is required to notice a rotted, water damaged joist. Consider this for comparison, when they are building the house they start with the floor joists then start putting the plywood down for the floor. They may get done with that stage and then are delayed by rain for a couple days. When the rain stops, they come back and start putting up some walls and carry on, no damage done. I doubt you have any more water on the joists than would have happened during a rain storm so there really are no worries as far as that goes. At worst the drywall might be a little damaged or the trim but I have doubts about that too. I really think that you are looking at only replacing some insulation. No risk at all in drying it out and carrying on. The bleach and water mixture will be good to spray around nay areas that are growing mushrooms too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Interesting. I'll dig down and take another look at it. So if it's really bad, it'll be soft and swelling? If it's still hard, it's ok?We also have laminate over that floor (that's where the water leaked onto). Will a dehumidifier still work on that? will it be able to get all the moisture out? Also, the swelling seems to go all the way to the back of the wall and it feels kind of bumpy. Not sure if that ups the severity.Ok. Went under the house. It feels dry, but is grey at parts. not sure what that's about. others don't seem like that. You can see the little mushrooms too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I just felt the bottom. I realize now that it probably goes much higher up and i should have felt there...though it drips down, so I don't know. I took a look at the beam as far as I could see and it looked ok. didn't see any mushrooms there.The big question is if the laminate will stop the dehumidfying? Also, how does one dehumidify the crawlspace?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

The crawlspace will dry out with the vents open. If you want it to dry faster you could put a fan or two down there. The bumpy part of the laminate is the backing of the laminate swelling. The dehumidifier will dry that out but the swelling may have stretched the surface of the laminate so it may not be as pretty as it was when it was new. The reason you would use a dehumidifier inside but fans in the crawl is that the laundry room is isolated to the dehumidifier will be effective there but not so much in the open area of the crawl space. Judging from the pictures it really does not look like there is anything to worry about structurally at all. Any water damage is going to be on the more porous materials like the drywall, insulation and flooring. At worst there may be a water stain. If that is all there ends up being then there is a product called Kilz. It is a paint that will cover stains or discolouring.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

I will be calling it a night for now. Feel free to ask any further questions. I am glad to continue to help although my replies may be quite delayed until tomorrow evening. I check in in the morning before going to work and then will be back online all night tomorrow night too. You can still comment or ask questions even after positively rating my service if something comes up also. I will always respond. Mike

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

Is there any more that I can help with?

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

I would like to help if you require additional information.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful or is there any clarification needed?

Related Structural Engineering Questions