StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Trying to figure size of beam ( or aluminum or steel wrapped

Customer Question

Trying to figure size of beam (wood or aluminum or steel wrapped with Azek needed to span 22 feet between two posts (8" square". Total length of beam will be 25 ft to allow for lookouts each end. This will support a lean to porch roof composed of 12 - 13ft 2 x 6 lumber with some bridging between.- approx 164LF of 2X6. roof is 12 X 22 with plastic sheeting material on top screwed to the joists. It is attached to the house on a ledger with TICO hanger brackets and toenailed to ledger. Right now it is supported on 4 4x4 posts and the beam is composed of 2 25'x 6" boards through bolted through the top of the posts which have shoulders cut out on each side approx 1 inch in on the post edges. Want to eliminate middle posts if at all possible and put beam in place of double 2x6 beams. Would prefer a solid beam that I can clad with Azek and suppord on Azek clad posts. I am in central Jersey for snowload calc.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I can help.

Will this support only the shed roof and nothing else?

Hello, do you still want help with this?