StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

We are opening up an existing doorway (lower floor) from 4

Customer Question

We are opening up an existing doorway (lower floor) from 4 feet to 8 feet in a load bearing wall (upper floor, but not roof) in a two story home. Above the doorway is the upper floor 3.5" studwall sitting on 2" x 12"s. Nails are visible in the 2x12 so I know it's load bearing (joists are perpendicular to the wall we are working on). Walls above and below are both interior walls and are 3.5" studs. Where could I find the right thickness of the 3.5" GLULAM we need to support the 2 x 12 end plate above the opening. (keeping the tie plate on the first floor wall)
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I can help.

What is the length of the 2x12s on each side of the wall? Will it support any ceramic tile? Does it also support an attic or only the one floor?