walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

With in the roof joist which support a roof, Can they (The

Customer Question

With in the roof joist which support a roof, Can they (The roof joists) be replaced by (Example) Steel Beams (or a stronger than wood material for the purpose of creating added space by reconfiguring and meeting the same support to weight and over all stability of the roof. I have a (+/-) 4000 square foot home with a huge gabled type roof. I want to know if there is any way that I can have a huge amount of center roof supporting joists replaced or reconfigured in the center of the roof, to allow for the installation of a room to measure approximately 30 Ft Long X 22Ft Wide X 12 Ft High with a supporting Floor beneith.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you share a copy of those plans with me? Also any pictures would be great. Click on the attach files link to share them with me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir. I have a cquired the portion of my house plans as they relate to the Roof ONLY. They encompase measurements, ingerneering drawings and builder's notes. Nearly 90 pages. I am willing to provide them for your inspection, if it will assist
you in your efforts to arrive at factual answer to my original question. How would you like for me to provide the plans and pictures of the roof of my home, Snail mail, fedx, personal delivery? Pleaae share with me your thoughts. Thanks. Ray
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Pictures can be to the Chat Window with the "attach files" link.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I would just need the roof framing plan and a floor plan, I would not need all of those sheets. Do you have a way to scan the couple of sheets I need and attach them electronically?